View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2016, 03:16 AM   #2951
rallibon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joti26 View Post
Still getting some every day on soft corals and lost my Duncan and Cat's paw but everything else still coping. It's interesting how it seems to change though, had none on sand for a few days but now less on glass. Then last two days more on sand again. . Very persistent on some soft corals and not others also interesting, two zoas next to each other and one gets it the other one doesn't. Looking forward to getting where you are, nearly there though and definitely nowhere near as bad as some!
Joti26 - Interestingly my gorgonians were absolutely covered with dinos (but survived) while my Euphyllia, Torch and Duncan were unaffected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon174 View Post
I have been fighting dino's for a very long time as well. I have been able to get it contain it to just the sand bed and it also doesn't seem to be affecting my sand sifting star fish.
I have noticed coralline growth on the back of the tank again and other green algae grown on my return lines. At this point, I am thinking about removing my star fish, and sucking out all of the sand. I don't want to go bare bottom, so I was thinking about slowing adding in a crushed coral type base back into the tank. Has anyone ever tried this? Will the dino's attach to crushed coral base like they do to sand? I'm sure the answer is yes if they can and do attach to corals and rocks.

The only other thing I can think about doing is getting another dragon goby. Other than the constant sand storm he created, the tank was free of dino's. I don't have any corals in the tank (just some zoo's and a small hammer coral). The zoo's are doing outstanding and aren't being affected by the dino's.

This is the weirdest stuff I have ever had to deal with in the hobby (15+ years).
dragon174 - my sand sifters were unaffected too but I did some research and realized they are fairly voracious predators in the sand bed so may be contributing to the conditions allowing the dinos to thrive. I would agree on the stars but not the sand. My bare-bottom frag tank was as badly affected as my DT so I do not believe the existence or not of a sand bed to be a factor. I have a sand-sifting sleeper goby (Valenciennaea strigata) who survived albeit the areas of sand he could feed from were curtailed by the dinos. I did not see him scooping up dino-affected sand. Like you my zoas were OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by joti26 View Post
I honestly don't think removing the sand bed will help much as they will grow on glass, discovered loads in the bottom of my sump today and nothing but glass on the bottom although not the brown snotty stuff just the dusty bits seems like they will just adapt to whatever they can. Also discovered that although I thought the filter I was using was collecting the stringy stuff it still let some through so ordered 10 micron socks today. So no wonder I wasn't getting rid of as much as I thought some was still escaping!