View Single Post
Unread 06/02/2008, 10:31 PM   #3
tygger
Registered Member

Quote:
Most commercial grade ballasts do not have a green ground wire. The ballast case and all metallic fixture parts must be grounded. In most cases the ground wire from the power cord is connected to the metallic fixture and/or ballast with a screw. Ballasts that are equipped with a green ground wire the wire is attached to the ballasts metal casing internally.
Thanks! That explains why there's no green ground wire coming from the ballast. There's only one white and one black coming from the ballast.

Ok, the power cord is currently split into three wires. Like you mentioned, the green ground wire is grounded to the metal reflector (where the ballast will be mounted). But the other two wires are both black. Since the old ballast was pre-wired in the fixture, I can see where existing white and black wires from the old ballast connect to the two black wires from the power cord. Is it safe to assume that I can just reconnect the black and white wires from the new ballast to the current wiring setup?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Quote:
The method to removing the old wires from the sockets depends on the socket type. With most of them you can pull and twist the wire out. With some the socket has a hole/slit beside the wire connection. You can use another wire or other metal object and push it into this hole/slit and this will release the wire.
Sorry for the really blurry pics, I only had my cell's camera on me. Here's the end cap. I don't see anything that would disconnect the wire and I'm afraid of breaking something if I pull too hard. Any thoughts?

I have a few more questions if you don't mind. For either the 2 red or 2 blue wires, does it matter if I hook up a wire to the left or right connector on the end cap as long as red is with red and blue is with blue? For example in this pic, would it matter if I swapped these two blue wires?