View Single Post
Unread 07/03/2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Brann
Registered Member

New test now with pictures!

Please excuse the diagram, but it was the first one ever with this new app

Here is the break down based on a test I did today:

I have replaced the wussy little giant pump with an IWAKI MD-55RLT. Earlier today I tested that pump with a 5 gal bucket, some 1 and 1/4 inch flex hose and a garden hose. I put the feed hose into the 5 gallon bucket and turn the pump on for a second. No flow as expected coming out of the pump as it is dry. I then stuck the garden hose inside the 1 and 1/4 inch feed line while it was inside the bucket to prime the pump and fill it full of water. Once I turned on the pump it started flowing instantly like a fountain. I removed the garden hose from the bucket and the pump drained that 5gal bucket in about 12 seconds

-----------

Based on this info I drew up these plans to attempt it full scale in my tank. As show in the picture my pump is in on the floor with the feed pipe ABOVE the inlet to keep the siphon going. I think this SHOULD work... but any input on my theory is more than welcome. The only issue I could see happening is me needing a smaller pump to prime the IWAKI if my water level drops low or I turn it off and the siphon breaks. Assuming this all works it will be returning to the sump via my ReefOctopus 1" pipe overflow box.

I have 90% of the parts already for this build and I figure the other stuff would only cost me about $20ish as hose that size is anything but cheap

Input please

-Brann

Brann is offline   Reply With Quote