View Single Post
Unread 07/10/2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Brann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Well, that is what I was afraid of as it is very common to get cavitation with an over the side installation.
Once you glue the last piece, if you still get bubbles try this test.
Start slowly closing the valve at the pump outlet, the noise of the pump will become a higher pitch and more ssteady and the bubbles should disapear as you reduce the flow. If the bubbles disapear then it is cavitation and the alternative will be drilling the side of the sump.

Ok here is the update...

I did the test jdieck told me about and with my PVC feed line into the pump I did indeed have a cavitation issue. I had to restrict the flow to the point where it was almost off

So, I went to the hardware store and got a 1" to 1 1/4" hose barb elbow. I scrapped my PVC return and hooked up the elbow with some braided hoses that was 1 1/4" which is 1/4" over sized for the return of the pump. It started bubbling up again which made me kind of sad. I then said what the hell... I hooked it up to my spray bar and tested it again very slowly to try the cavitation test with the hose. I started with the valve almost all the way closed and slowly opened it up... The bubbles went away!!!

I guess I just needed to start slowly and work the air out of the system on this hose setup. I then slowly opened the valve more and more... I am at the point where the return flow is faster than my overflow can handle and if I turn it up anymore I will over flow the tank

The only issue is the pump is a little bit loud. My tank is in my computer server room and it sounds about as loud as one of my servers. The noise does not bother me too much, but I am wondering if this is going to damage the pump. I am looking into getting a 2nd overflow box to run the pump full blast and for the extra security if one box loses siphon

Right now the 1" return goes in my 1/2" spray bar which is about 80% open.

I am waiting until I get my 2nd over flow box in to finalize my plumbing... Feel free to ask any questions and give me any input.

Brann is offline   Reply With Quote