View Single Post
Unread 03/09/2018, 06:51 AM   #6625
five.five-six
Registered Member

Need some lighting advice

6’ tank 24 deep and I’m running 2X250 radium 20k’s. I’m suplamenting dusk and dawn with 3X36 watt PC CFLs. It actually grows coral pretty well but I’m looking to improve.

Background: I recently bought a 420NM LED strip. It’s not bright enough for the tank but I played around with it and it the corals pop insanely. My wife absolutly loves it. I think it looks like a rave or a black light fun house but happy wife happy life. Normally my wife is the breakmaster on tank spending but she likes the pop so much she got all schoolgirlish “How much does it cost? Can we get it?

Tank is a new SPS tank, running 6 months and it’s really starting to settle down to the point where I have invested in some very nice frags and am in grow them out mode. I have a set of 10K par monster halide lamps that are bright as heck but almost yellow. I like them; wife hates them.

So I want to replace the CFLs with 2X T5HO. I have been considering but not limited to:

ATI true O3 (I’m old schools and that’s what we ran back in the day)

ATI Blue plus

The ideal lamp, in order of importance would:

Promote growth.

Provide my wife’s beloved 420nm pop.

Tame the 10k aqualine halides into more of a radium 10k color.

TIA

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote