View Single Post
Unread 03/07/2017, 11:30 PM   #16
benbarfield
Registered Member

more progress...

We’re making some progress. Slow but steady. Started off by getting ductwork sealed with Duct Sealant Paint as seen below.

It took about 2 hours to dry. Now the war was about to start and I didn’t even see if coming. I slid the first vent tubing into the ceiling from the utility room through the access hole I made in the drop down ceiling. I attempted to use self-tapping metal screws to secure it to the next section of ductwork. The photo below shows the duct sealant I used to connect the sections. The second photo is the view from the access point into the drop down ceiling above the fish tank stand. On the left side you can see the ventilation tubing that is starting to turn the wrong direction. The gray pipe on the left side is going to house the electrical lines to supply the tank.

This was the point that the tubing was hitting the recessed light. I tried bending the pipe from each end, using a broom handle to try and wedge the pipe over the light housing and finally the screws stripped out and the middle section of duct work was now free in the ceiling. I pulled the other section of duct from the utility room and spent the next 2 hours trying to get the free section of ductwork out. I finally had to make my access point above the tank larger. I cut a larger hole and was able to get the duct pipe out from the ceiling. At this point it was back to the drawing boards for the exhaust ventilation. The photos below show the once stuck duct piece, the larger ceiling access point, and my battle wound (I should have read the caution sharp sticker on the side of the ductwork)…

I decided to take a break from metal and move on to plumbing, electrical, and woodworking. Next I started setting up my water access to where my RODI unit will be in the utility room. I still need to tap into my house water line and run a new piping to the fitting. The second photo is of the ceiling access point in the ceiling where I ran PVC lines to house the water lines to the tank. The bent gray PVC line is going to house the water line tubing.

While the water line piping dried, I moved on to the electrical lines. Along the side of the water line PVC, I added another PVC line to house electrical. A 2x6 was installed and secured to the framing studs behind the drywall. The ceiling access point was trimmed with 2x6 as well and will serve as an access point and house the exhaust ventilation fan.

benbarfield is offline   Reply With Quote