View Single Post
Unread 01/06/2018, 07:13 PM   #52
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Compared to other options it makes sense for some but not all. I have done this successfully without issue. If you have a strong filtration system, I would imagine that others can can do this same treatment without having an ammonia spike. CP is also run in display tanks in the retail fish and coral industry. I'm speaking from experience here.

To be fair, this isn't a reef treatment, its a fish only treatment. That means removing all corals and inverts and placing them in a QT tank. The DT becomes a temporary fish only tank. Gradually start the treatment and phase it in over a couple of weeks. Snail and worm die off will occur as desired. If you get an ammonia reading, dose amquil and aerate your tank well. The CP breaks down over time (weeks, not months). amquil and CP are safe together. Again, I've been down this path and tested to be sure. You can remove the CP when ready using carbon and water changes. Add a sacrificial snail to test and when the snail lives you know you are in the clear. Considering the alternatives, this was the best treatment for my situation. It was easy and effective so perhaps this method may help another hobbyist.

A friend used CP in the display out of desperation as unable to catch and QT fish. He had massive ammonia spikes which wiped out a good number of his fish in a system over over 1200l.

It’s certainly not something I would advise due to the die off caused.

Can you let me know where Chloroquine is used systematically? AFAIK you cannot test for Chloroquine. It is not known if carbon removes it OR what it’s natural breakdown period is (as it can’t be tested for).

Would very much like to hear about any tests for Chloroquine you can point me in the direction of as that is its biggest drawback IME in general treatment.

tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote