View Single Post
Unread 05/10/2012, 11:01 PM   #3743
drummereef
Team RC Member

Next, I gathered the materials to screen the frames. I used 1/4" clear mesh from BRS, .125 gauge black spine, and a spline roller.

First I cut the mesh material to a rough size leaving enough excess to be able to pull the mesh tight while seating the spline.

Starting in one corner, I used the grooved side of the roller to press the spline into the channel on the frame. Moving slowly I made sure to keep a straight line so the mesh would look even when stretched. After seating the spline I used the flat side of the roller to completely seat the spline into the channel.

Once I rolled out the entire length of frame I cut the end of the spline with a utility knife.

I then used a flat head screw driver to seat the end into the corner. The screwdriver also works well to tuck the spline into the corners where the roller can't get to.

Using a flat razor blade, I cut the excess mesh from the frame.

Finished panel.

Here's all 3 panels installed on the tank. All in all, the project was fairly simple but took a few days since I opted to paint the frames. I feel confident I won't have any more jumpers now that the tops are in place.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:54 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote