View Single Post
Unread 03/10/2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
There’s really no reason to test ammonia or nitrite regularly on an established tank, but IMO it is still worth keeping an ammonia test kit on hand. If something happens and you get an ammonia spike it can quickly kill fish and corals, so it’s good to have to do a quick test if you notice a problem. It can also be useful as you’re quarantining new fish as often new tanks or TTM buckets don’t have time to cycle and ammonia can be a problem there as well.
I fully agree with this. I don’t test ammonia after the cycle but it is good to have a kit on hand. I had a bad experience with ammonia.

My tank was over two years old & one day I noticed a couple corals not doing well, then a couple more & so on. I tried everything I could think of to see what was going on with the tank & I couldn’t figure it out. After fighting it for over a month I finally tested ammonia because I already did everything else I could think of. Sure enough ammonia was sky high & im not sure how anything was alive. Something obviously got into the tank & killed all of my beneficial bacteria. I wish I would have checked it sooner because I lost a wrasse & a couple corals, although I’m not sure how I didn’t loose a lot more.
I keep a test on hand for my qt tank, I just didn’t think to check

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote