View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:03 AM   #26
illumnae
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I recently finished a fluconazole treatment. Worked like a dream! Although cyano followed pretty quickly.
I found it had some long lasting effects.. film algea was dramatically reduced for many weeks after treatment and I also had a die off of cheato. Not complete but significant.
That fluconazole certainly has some underlying effects on the system that aren’t fully understood.. but in general it’s pretty positive..
Did it affect nutrient levels in your tank?
The fluconazole no doubt works well. I noticed cyano in my tank too but it's restricted only to growing on the dead strands if bryopsis and hair algae. I think it's feeding off the nutrients being released by the dead algae. No outbreak of it (knock on wood!)

My chaeto was entirely out competed by caulerpa and hair algae in my refugium. The fluconazole killed off all my caulerpa too. I'll need to repopulate the refugium after treatment is over. I did notice nto needing to clean the glass too!

Nutrients wise I noticed phosphate rise from 0.03 on day 1 to 0.08 on day 3. I continued dosing carbon via TM Bacto Balance and nitrate actually zeroed out, probably due to the increase in phosphate. I dosed calcium nitrate and installed an ultraphos reactor and nutrients are now back to normal.

Corals aren't visibly affected but growth seems to have slowed abit based on slowly rising kh levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneDynamix View Post
Hey man ... that's a real cool tank.

I'm unable to view videos ... unsure why. But I would sure appreciate more fish pics.

Can you elaborate more on your nutrient export and NO3 dosing ?
Thank you! Camera is still not back from repairs. I'll try to get more pictures when it's back.

Not taking into account the abovementioned temporary measures due to the fluconazole treatment, my nutrient control is just 2ml daily dose of Tropic Marin Bacto Balance. It has been keeping my nutrients stable at 0.2 nitrate and 0.03-0.05 phosphate. I used to dose nitrate whenever it hit 0, but after awhile nutrient ratio balanced out and I didn't need to do it anymore

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote