View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2017, 11:29 AM   #3
mike61289
Registered Member

Why did you float the bag for 2 hours? It doesn't take that long to adjust the temperature inside and outside the bag.

Anyways, wild-caught come with A LOT more issues than captive-bred individuals. The fact that they were already bagged is also a red flag because you don't get to see them feed before taking them home and you have no idea how long they were in the bag for. Since they need to feed frequently, they may have been starving between the amount of time they were in the bag and the amount of time you were acclimating them.

One issue I had with wild-caught pipefish is that they bring internal parasites that like to only hang out in the gut of syngnathids (seahorses and pipefish). I have a feeling that also could have contributed to the demise of the other seahorses. These parasites can survive without a host. I found the best way to eliminate the parasites is to completely clean the tank and everything in it. I mean take all of the water out, scrub the rocks like crazy (and bask them in the sun), and change the substrate.