View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2012, 08:03 AM   #25
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It may work just fine, but is it easier, better or advanced? The goal is to reduce the PO4, addressing that and directly removing the PO4 is the easiest way to achieve the goal. I just re-ordered HC GFO, 60 bucks and it will last about 2 years, that's 30 bucks a year or .082 cents a day. 8 cents a day to keep the PO4 in check is pretty cheap, easy and corrects the problem in one step.

Some tanks are better able to process NO3 than others, so I am curious what happens when you add NO3 to a tank that processes it very well, (just to help remove PO4) how much testing and adjusting will you have to do to max out the processing ability and gain enough NO3 to allow bacteria to consume the PO4? It seems to me to be as counter intuitive as physicians treating symptoms instead of addressing the problem.

I am very much in favor of thinking out of the norm, but sometimes you have to think about what you are actually doing and decide if it is better or not. Dosing NO3 may very well work, but is it really the best course of action towards the goal of removing PO4? I am not saying don't do it, but rather why are you doing it and is it worth it? Personally, I can afford 8 cents a day and not have to worry with testing constantly and adjusting doses of something my tank already processes very well, without my intervention. :-)

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote