View Single Post
Unread 05/30/2012, 08:49 PM   #3795
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

OK guys, need a little advice here. I'm thinking about adding a stock tank to house some more live rock and possibly some macros - so a "remote fuge" of sorts. It will be located to the right of the return pump which I have already TEE'd off for expansion.

My question is how to plumb one of these things to have the following...

1. Some surface skimming
2. Limit the chance of macros getting sucked into the drain
3. Drains to operate relatively quiet - or at least as quiet as the Durso drains on my display.

I see a lot of guys use a vertical stand pipe but I'm assuming that would gurgle like crazy. Here's some rough pics so you can get an idea of what I'm thinking... Let me know if you have any ideas!

Here is the wall where the stock tank will be plumbed. You can see the TEE just above the return pump that will fee the tank. Sorry about the mess of tanks and food stuffs.

And here's a mock-up with the stock tank. The tank will be fed from the TEE off the return pump and gravity drain back to the sump. I'm assuming I'll have to raise the stock tank high enough for it to drain properly back to the sump?? I'm considering using cinder blocks to raise it up off the floor. Thoughts??

**This is just a generic pic I layered into the shot - so it's not the actual tank I will be installing.

As you can see there's plenty of width/depth to fit a decent size stock tank. The one I'm considering is 4x2x2 oval, or 100g.

I have some interesting plumbing to consider as well... Lots of stuff to plumb around to make this work. Any suggestions are welcome.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 06:54 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote