View Single Post
Unread 01/18/2018, 09:18 PM   #72
rc1626
Registered Member

Update:
I'm in a week now with CP treatment. CP was purchased on Ebay. After moving all inverts from my tank I started dosing. I went a little more aggressive then suggested. Instead of the suggested 10% of suggested dose I dosed equally over 4 days to get my tank up to the recommended dose of 40mg/gal.

Over the first couple of days I did not notice much happening as the CP levels increased. All algae looked unaffected and a margarita snail I missed had appeared and looked okay. Fish were unaffected. Even my six line wrasse was fine. I've read that wrasses may be affected by CP. When I fed or gently stirred the sand I did notice a few webs from some vermetids.

By Day 5 I started to notice the coralline algae slightly starting to whiten in some spots. Some hair algae on my power heads still remained green as well as a small patch of turf algae I have on a rock. I also noticed that while stirring the sand gently and feeding I was not noticing anymore webs. At this point my ammonia had started to creep up to .25ppm (API). Amquel was added.

Now on day 7 of treatment (no more CP has been added) much of my purple coralline is still colored although it continues to whiten slowly across the rocks. Still no webs present when feeding and stirring the sand. Ammonia has gone up to ~ .50 so more Amquel added. All fish look unaffected and are eating great. Margarita snail I believe is dead. It is off the rock it was on and now sits in the sand and hasn't moved since day 6. Haven't pulled it yet to inspect and smell.

Tank has a slight cloudiness to it. Skimmer was shut down at the onset. I tried running it a day ago but it was foaming over enough that it was a problem even when the wedge pipe was fully open so I shut it down. Typically I run it at about 50% open. I'm running 4 T5's for 6 hours out of the day with my Mitras led's only running a 2200k spectrum at about 15% for 12hrs. 6 of them with the T5's.

Not sure how long to run it at this concentration. That's if it even still sits at 40mg/gal.(my original dose) due to chemical breakdown. I will continue to monitor for vermetids for at least another week or two and go from there. If algae starts to show itself on the glass I will probably dose again. How much, not sure. I will cross that bridge if and when it presents itself.

HTH

Current fish List for reference:
Rock Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Potters Angel
Bangai Cardinal
Pair Ocellaris Clownfish
Orchid Dottyback
Blue Green Chromis
Talbots Damsel
Yellow Tang
Flame Hawkfish