View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2008, 09:45 AM   #12
JennM
Reefer

Bringing this old thread back to life. I found it by googling "Problems with Stealth Heaters."

I sold them for a couple of years, and quit when I started getting returns for various problems - sticking on, not coming on, and the worst one - stray voltage.

I just removed another one (sold ~3 years ago) that was tossing 39 volts into the water. That explains why the guy's tang had bad HLLE despite a good diet and good water quality.

I have a few more of these in service in tanks we maintain and was looking to see if there was any sort of recall on them, or if there were more widespread problems.

When I first started encountering problems and had stopped carrying them, I brought it to the attention of a Marineland (now UPG) sales rep and he told me it was the first he'd heard of any problems.

They do have a lifetime warranty - so I have been able to return defective ones to my distributor regardless of when they were purchased. I'm contemplating taking them ALL out of service, regardless of any obvious problems, but it may take a bit of convincing for the distributor to take them all back - so I'm researching to give them a viable reason to accept them back - as well as to let UPG know.

Sooooo...

If anybody else has had problems with their Stealth, please add to this thread.

And if you have a Stealth, and it appears to be working OK, but you're seeing unexplained HLLE in tangs or angels, or have had any other behavioral anomalies, you might want to test your tank for stray voltage using a multimeter, just in case.

Thanks for any additional input.

Jenn

LFS Owner
JennM is offline   Reply With Quote