View Single Post
Unread 05/26/2015, 08:39 AM   #1130
DDon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefromaz View Post
Short and to the point. My tank was healthy and happy with a cosmetic problem (hair algae). The use of my choice of a marine algae killer made my tank "pretty" again. The problem is it also kicked my ecosystem back about three billion years to the point where dinos and cyano were likely the dominant life forms on earth. My dinos are mostly suppressed at the moment. Super nitrate/phosphate dcrubbers, vodka dosing, UV, yada, yada..... Despite the tank being on its way to "pretty" again I have no doubt it is otherwise a dinoflagellate dominated eco desert. Soooo...that being said I intend to visit my LFS and pick up a healthy dose of their live phyto/ rotifer/ pod offering and at least give the dinos some competition as they had before screwing things up.
Makes alot of sense. Don't know how many posts I have read, or been guilty of myself, that having a problem with "x" so I add "y" and now dinos or some other undesireable has taken over. In my case cyano was the problem with suspected dinos lurking so started peroxide dosing, then bam, dinos in full bloom. I'm sure the peroxide was not too friendly to the microfauna.

This is the first tank I have experienced dinos in and also first that cyano was a major pain. But this is also the first tank I have run so "sterile". Started it off with carbon and gfo reactors, vinegar dosing in kalk [only when I needed a stronger concentration], etc. (Was an upgrade not a new setup). In previous tanks, I ran carbon passively and as far as gfo, never heard of it when I had my first reef tank and only ran a couple times passively in the tank I upgraded from. Maybe it's time I stop treating for issues that don't even exist and go back to keeping things simple.

DDon is offline   Reply With Quote