View Single Post
Unread 08/10/2007, 05:37 PM   #71
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sara B
Yes, I have hit in the 7.7's and then added Lime to the reactor. The interesting thing is that I have 2 sump/fuge systems side by side in my fishroom and one has lower PH than the other. The one with the lower PH has the display tank located in the basement, so that's what I concluded to it having low PH with the Furnace in the basement... or a different Kalk Reactor not working as well as the other. The system with the higher PH, the tank is on the first floor. Also, both sump/fuge systems are in the basement as well in a 10x21 fishroom.
I don't think it is simply location of the furnace------
not all lowering of pH is strickly due to carbon dioxide levels in the tank. Also I think carbon dioxide problems in the house are a combination of air circulation and insulation. ---and carbon dioxide/ oxygen exchange occurs on the surface of the water of the tank besides in the sump/refugium and skimmer.
----and the hotter the room the more carbon dioxide it can hold

my eg here
--my sump and fuge are in the basement also--the main tank is in a small room at the front of the house. If I close the door to that room the circulation slows down and the temp really rises quickly due to the sun coming in the windows and the halides over the tank. You walk into that room after 15 min and it is very hot and the air is stiffling. Yet the air in the basement where the air conditioning is drawing from is cool and not hard to breathe---my pH in the main tank fluctuates over the entire week from 8.2-7.7.

I have a 30 gal quarantine/frag/reef tank(depending on the crisis) right beside my fuge and sump in the basement. The pH never ever moves---8.1 steady.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote