View Single Post
Unread 06/10/2010, 10:01 PM   #20
Taqpol
Registered Member

Because my "fish room" is in a small (6'x8') enclosed room I decided to be proactive about potential heat and moisture problems by installing a portable air conditioner. I went with this because I was able to get it at a local home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Unfortunately, for any type of AC you need to be able to vent the heat and moisture somewhere. Upon CRVZ's advice I decided not to vent out to the garage and instead ended up drilling a 4.25" hole in my outside wall. It actually went much easier then I thought it would. We started by drilling a 1/4" pilot hole all the way through the wall from the inside to the outside. We then went outside and adjusted the hole up so that our vent cover would fit against the siding like it was supposed to. Then you just take a giant hole saw to your house!

Felt around a little bit, no pipes or wires hopefully....

Simple!

Dryer vent is caulked and screwed to the siding. Good thing we missed the piping for that hose spigot, but it looks pretty good to me!

Installed a dryer quick disconnect to the other end so that I would be able to easily change out to a different AC or some other method of cooling (simple fan, maybe?) in the future.

Directly underneath the vent I also installed a hose spigot drain pipe for my saltwater mixing station and 3/8" spigot to connect to my skimmer for sucking in outside air. I'd already drilled a 4" hole in the wall, these should be simple! Unfortunately it definitely did not turn out as pretty, but in the spirit of full disclosure here are the pics:

They are both so close to the bottom of the house i don't think it will be too noticeable!

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote