View Single Post
Unread 01/01/2018, 05:54 PM   #3083
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, and welcome, MGP!

I do have a UV sterilizer, but it's not plumbed in. Maybe I could do some kind of temporary setup. I'll think about it. I was just researching using hydrogen peroxide, but I would think UV would be safer, since few tiny inverts would be exposed. I have a lot of tiny crew members I'd like to keep alive.

I really appreciate your suggestions. You sound confident in your method. Did it work for you? I ask because I've read quite a bit of conflicting info, and it appears that, with multiple species of dinos out there, what works for one fails for another.

I'm not sure all of your suggestions would work for my situation. My tank is pretty much the polar opposite of a reef tank. Rather than keeping nutrients super low, for pristine, reef-like conditions, I dose nutrients heavily to feed a lot of plants. I think this, combined with CO2 injection, and a new, brighter light, led to my dino outbreak. Since I was already doing what you suggest (high nutrients), I tend to think I might should go in the opposite direction, to STARVE them of nutrients. But who knows?!!! THAT'S the biggest problem with dinos.

After re-reading your post, I think I may have misinterpreted you. Were you suggesting I raise nutrients AFTER I get the dinos under control? If so, I agree. I will definitely resume dosing for the plants as soon as I am confident the dinos are gone. I tried continuing with dosing, to encourage plant growth earlier, and it didn't seem to help. So now I'm halting dosing and pruning back macros.

I'm certainly no expert (don't wanna be!), but it may be that given the variation in dinoflagellates, the key may be for us to try different things to find what works for our own individual species.

Thanks again! If you have anything else to add, or any clarifications, I'd be greatful.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote