View Single Post
Unread 01/03/2018, 03:57 PM   #6193
alcimedes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermonkeys View Post
Bump on this one please I have these as well curious what they are. Seem bot be deep in rocks and let this out, when you light it up they retract quick.
If I'm not mistaken (and for your sake I hope I am) that sounds like a Fulgida worm.

They're meat eating worms that secret a mucous around their prey which seems to paralyze/suffocate them, then eat them.

They look kind of like a bristle worm, but have a flatter/rounded shovel kind of head, and they retract crazy fast for changes in light or if they feel anything bumped/water movement near them.

They tend to only like to come out when it's dark unless they're starving.

If you've noticed some of your CUC shells empty and a snot blob nearby, that's likely your culprit.

I got a rock that had a ton of them and didn't realize. I've been trapping and removing them now for about a month. I think I've removed about 40 so far.

If you need help making a trap let me know, but the design floating around online using PVC pipe, pantyhose and scallops for bait has been the most effective for me.

They will kill your CUC snails and any clams you have in the tank. I have seen them eat a bristle worm or two as well.

edit: also forgot to mention they aren't nearly as sensitive to red light. I ended up buying some red LED flashlights in order to hunt them at night, it made it much easier.

Last edited by alcimedes; 01/03/2018 at 05:08 PM.
alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote