View Single Post
Unread 02/02/2008, 12:23 PM   #9
NaCl+H2O Fish
Registered Member

Fellow RSM Owner...

Quote:
Originally posted by Megalodon
It's a 38-gallon Red Sea Max.

And their Margarita's do have coralline on them, thankfully.
Megalodon -

Thought I would add my two cents here as I jumped over from the Red Sea Max Owners Club thread in nano tanks.

I too am a RSM MAX owner, born Jan. 20, 2008 and I am going through the same decisions as you. I do agree with some of the posted comments on potentially starving our CUC if the tank is clean!
Here is what I have learned from a lot of research:
SNAILS - all listed below can right themselves:
THROCHUS - Great cleaners, quarter sized and prefer warmer water / 1 per 5 gal. I am thinking of 3-5 for my tank.
NERITE - small, long lived and good cleaners.
NASSARIUS - fast (for a snail), hardy sand sifters... will actually clean the glass below the substrate and emerge when feeding the tank!
CERITH - may be one of the best cleaners for diatoms, small 1"
I'm thinking I will eventually have 4-5 of each, 16-20 total snails.
OTHER INTERESTING SNAILS / SLUGS:
ALGAE COWRIE - small size algae grazer... very pretty!
FIGHTING CONCH - doesn't grow as large as the QUEEN, great detritus eater.
LETTUCE NUDIBRANCH - non toxic, interesting, peaceful algae grazer.
One of each of the 3 above... eventually!

CRABS - careful with the hermits...
EMERALD CRAB - a definite for one... interesting, peaceful and bryopsis algae eater!
SCARLET HERMIT CRAB - recognized as the most peaceful... maybe 3.

Finally,
1 of either a SERPENT OR BRITTLE STARFISH for detritus cleaning in the rock work!

Hope this helps, but remember they are all going to need a food supply... so we have to be careful!

Kent
NaCl+H2O Fish

Current Tank Info: Red Sea MAX - Born 1/20/2008 Running a C-360 canister, CurrentUSA 1/15hp mini-chiller, Koralia Hydor Kopalia 1 and a HydorFLO from a MaxiJet 1200...
NaCl+H2O Fish is offline   Reply With Quote