View Single Post
Unread 11/19/2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Bpb
Registered Member

The biggest aesthetic feature of metal halide fixtures missing from leds is the massive green and yellow spikes from the mercury vapor. Even in 20,000k bulbs it is still there. There’s just such a tremendous amount of blue/violet/and uv as well as enough IR produced to balance the visual hue to make it bright and pleasant with lots of shimmer, and the corals be more tolerant of the higher par levels you typically see as a result.

You can mimic this to a point with leds but it is helpful to use something like a reef fi duo extreme, or a Philips coral care (soon to come to the US) which include broad spectrum green based white diodes. If you just crank the whites on a black box or even many other higher end fixtures, you may burn your corals as a lot of people complain of doing. Cranking your greens will help some of you have discrete channel control. That will mimic your mercury vapor spike a lot more than increasing white and red diodes.

But to answer the question, no, you can not automatically ramp up a metal halide bulb. There is a natural ramp up as the bulb heats up. But it only takes about 3 minutes. I suspect you were more interested in a several hour ramp up.

For what it is worth. I could not possibly care less about what direction the commercial street lamp industry is going. I use metal halides and will continue to do so until I can’t. Only thing I can control is my choice. I’ve got enough of a cache of bulbs to last me 4-5 years of production ceased right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote