View Single Post
Unread 03/07/2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Hydrus
Registered Member

Need New Test Kit

I'm looking purchasing a new test kit...well new test kit"S". I had previously been using the master API kit...I never kept sps and I didn't ever see a need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate really - at least not in my tank that has been up for 23 years. Those levels never changed.

However, now that I have upgraded my lighting I am able to keep a variety of corals that I never had in the past, including sps. This leads me to the conclusion I should probably start keeping an eye on other things in my tank...calcium, alk, etc. My question is what test kit brand do you guys recommend? I see a lot of talk about Hanna and I know my LFS has that on his shelves. He also has some other brands but I'm just not sure what to pick.

Also, what things would you recommend I test for? For example he said I don't need to test for iodine or anything like that. I tried to ask the LFS owner what he does recommend but he tends to talk down to you when you ask questions like that and he feels you should know these things already before coming into his store. Its super frustrating when you're made to feel stupid for asking. I'm sure the answer is dependent on what you want to keep in your tank but I'm looking to just get starting buying 2 or 3 kits of the top most common things I should test for.

Thank you for any help with this

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote