View Single Post
Unread 03/26/2017, 08:38 AM   #1407
bbaz123456
Registered Member

I have been using lanthanum for years, on an as needed basis with no noticeable change in ph. My ph runs 8.1 to 8.3 through the day whether I am dosing or not.
But another WARNING to everyone, I know there are many in this thread already. Stripping all or much of your po4 quickly will end up bad!
I have always ran very high po4...over 2.5ppm for many years as I never bought into the "phosphates being bad theory" and I still don't but thought I'd give it a shot anyways. For about the last 6 months I've been keeping them down around the .5 range and everything was doing good. We'll, a couple days ago I lost a few sps and decided to run my tests. Everything was spot on except po4 was 0 on the Hanna high range checker, I don't have the low range so I don't know exactly where it is. Since then I've lost another 20-25 sticks.
I am aware that it is my fault because I am lazy and do not use precise measurements on dosing. I have a 5 gallon container that I pour "a little" lanthanum in and fill the rest with ro.
So, I'm not saying don't use it. Just don't be stupid with it!! Like me