View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2012, 07:47 PM   #6
pimp4cheddar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie_guy View Post
To this day, when I dive off a boat, the first 30-60 seconds I have a hard time getting my breating under control. But once I get more than 10' down, all that fades away and I'm more relaxed than ever. When I dive off the beach I don't have this problem.

My wife was the same way as you. She wanted to try it so bad, but she had some concerns/fears. I told her that if she has the slightest amount of doubt, then she shouldn't do it, and she walked away from it. She wasn't concerned with the breathing or anything, just with the 'what if something happens' part of it. She was scared she would panic and not know how to react.

With diving, it's hard to initially get your head into it, because as mentioned, the sensation of taking a breath under water contradicts one of the most basic natural instincts in your brain. Personally, I think that if your biggest concern is the breathing, that's something that can be worked on, and with time you might get over it.

I'm completely with you. When in doubt...walk away!

I'm worried about what happens when I swallow water on accident at 60ft underwater? I can't just kick off the floor like I would do at the pool and choke and gasp for air at the top. I'm basically screwed...

That "what if" panic/concern is what really scares me. I'm far from a control freak...but that's just way too heavy on my mind...the entire time I just felt like I was going to panic and rip all my equipment off and gasp for air underwater - then I would think about what happens when I'm in the middle of the ocean

Very upsetting...

pimp4cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote