View Single Post
Unread 09/17/2009, 05:10 PM   #2
melev
Moved On

To Reef Central

The problem I see is that you have the potential to move 1900gph through your 20g sump even with it hitting the refugium as well. That's 95x turnover through a small sump.

You could give it a try to see how it works if you own everything, but I think you'll want a bigger sump, and you still may need to put a ball valve to slow down the flow going back up to the tank depending how cleanly your drain lines are installed.

The pump you own now is going to cost you a fortune in electricity consumption 24 hours a day.

If you prefer a different pump, perhaps the new Maxijet Utility Pump would do better. I recently tested out the 5500, which used about 70w of power and moves 1385gph max. It can push up to 13' vertically, and Marine Depot sells them for $159. It will do the job, won't cost a lot in power, won't push too much flow through your sump, can be run internally or externally... I like that pump, but I've only run it for a few days, not long term. Oh, it has a three year warranty from Marineland too.

Happy reefing!

melev is offline   Reply With Quote