View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2018, 07:20 AM   #1
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Baby Proofing Stand

Hey all,

I have a 6 month old baby (today's his 1/2 year birthday!) and he is just about to start crawling. This has me concerned with my tank because right now I just have some 1/8" chalkboard sheets velcrowed to my stand on three sides, which my son will soon enough be able to remove by grabbing or pulling them.

I've tried posting pictures, but lately have had a lot of issues, so I'll just try to explain what my current setup is. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make the bottom of the stand safe and childproof.

I have a 65 gallon tank, which has a steel frame. the frame is made of fairly light duty angle with a leg at all 4 corners of the tank. At the top, the section that supports the tank is the same angle iron but horizontal around the perimeter, simply supporting the outside edges of the tank. There is also a shelf supported by the same angle iron about 6" off the ground.
When I got the tank, I enclosed the bottom shelf with chalkboard from home depot. I just cut the size panels I needed, and stuck it directly to the angle iron. On the two side panels, I used industrial strength double sided tape. On the larger front panel, I used (4) 3" pieces of high strength velcrow at the corners so I can simply pull the whole panel off to access filtration and other supplies.

I'm looking for something that will replace the velcrow and be child proof, yet still be accessible without too much effort for maintenance. I go into the bottom of the tank probably twice a day for fish food or maintenance. I'd prefer something that looks decent, but more importantly is safe.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote