View Single Post
Unread 05/16/2012, 07:18 AM   #50
LouH
LouH

You should get surges of water. I had regular flow disruption/air pockets in the effluent from the reactor with an Ehiem 1260. Since stepping down to a 1250, the air pockets in the effluent are even larger and the water flow is less.

FWIW, when I first started up my reactor I had similar issues which led me down the path of running the 1260 as opposed to the recommended 1250. I also ended up raising the bubble/impact plate as far as I could without it interfering with the bottom of the venturi. With that configuration I filled the head space of the reactor with fine bubbles. Over time my ORP came up. It didn't happen in a couple of days. It was more than a week if I recall correctly. I switched back to the 1250 just a couple of weeks ago to make space in my sump and to have lower power consumption. I lost the fine bubbles in the chamber head space, but can still hold ORP where I want with the ozone generator set at 15 mg/h. Perhaps it is just a matter of time with your system. You may have a lot of anoxic zones in your tank due to sand beds and/or decaying matter. That will drive down ORP. I know that my ORP will dip down to as low as 250 if I significantly disturb the sand bed. One other thing to look at is pH. I do no know why, but my ORP drops as pH increases and the opposite is true as well. It isn't a huge differential, but it is a part of the equation.

I can understand the frustration of having something not work when you seem to do everything right. I tried switching from a calcium reactor to 2-part because I got tired of constantly adjusting the needle valve and changing failed selenoids. I fought wih dosing for 6 months and ultimately went back to the calcium reactor. I just could not make the 2-part hold target Ca and Alk levels where I wanted them. I ended up going back to the calcium reactor and have now no issues with water chemistry. I hate to say it, but somethine these things happen without a clear explanation as to why.

Good luck and be patient.

Lou

LouH is offline   Reply With Quote