View Single Post
Unread 08/09/2011, 03:20 PM   #7466
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
I'm interested in the cryptic results. I unknowingly ended up with a cryptic filter when I discovered that one of my 55 gallon drums that I use as a sump for no other purpose but to add water volume to the system needed cleaning out. The water at the bottom had that ole sulfur smell. (the water entered at the top and exited the oposite top) I freaked out and drained the whole thing and then put in an air stone to circulate the water better. Since the addition of the airstone I have been fighting nitrates. I have it under control with pellets now but I am always thinking of pulling the airstone and letting it go back. I could keep my nitrates much lower when it was cryptic.
First off, a few 55 gallon drums for more system water is the most cost effective filtration and water chemistry tool you can find. A slow throughput is sure to give you an ideal site for denitrifying bacteria and water polishing cryptic invertebrates. I would shut the airlifts down and see if you can repeat your earlier results (in reverse).

I was having problems keeping the NP pellets from sticking together in our media reactor. I think the pump I was using wasn't strong enough for the job once the sponge collects some biofilm and detritus. I decided to fill a large media bag with the NP pellets and see what happens. Every few days the pellets get covered in biofilm (bacterial slime) so I manually shake it a few times in the sump where it is located. This releases bacteria for corals and sponges to consume frees up some space for more delicious slime. The whole idea is to offer up a carbon source for anaerobic bacteria so I was never keen on the idea of keeping them in an aerobic fluidized bed in the first place. There are localized anaerobic layers in a fluidized bed, but they are limited and the constant abrasion wears off bacteria populations too quickly. I think my low tech bag is the right way to do it and I don't mind manually agitating it. It could be automated by using the fluidized bed with a pump that was intermittent, maybe on for one minute once a day. You would need a strong pump once the NP pellets start sticking like wet pasta.