View Single Post
Unread 11/05/2014, 05:52 PM   #105
snowflake_clown
Registered Member

First Tank

This is my first aquarium, so it's still a learning process for me.

MarcoRocks Key Largo Dry Rock (50lbs)
Tropic Eden Reefflakes Aragonite Sand
Tropic Eden Miniflakes
Nutri-Seawater (40 Gallons)
1 Liter of SeaChem Matrix in right media reactor column. (right of the center column)

Innovative Marine Fusion 40 Tank and Stand
Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Pump System
Innovative Marine HydroFill ATO Controller System
Innovative Marine Ghost Protein Skimmer - Midsize
EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10ES
Kessil A360WE w/ Kessil Spectral Controller and Kessil Gooseneck Adaptor
JBJ True Temp Digital Controller w/ Heater - 150W (mounted horizontally along bottom of sump next to return pump)
(2) Innovative Marine Custom Caddy Media Basket's

In the media baskets I'll put the following in once the tank has cycled:
Top Chamber - Mechanical Sponge's
Middle Chamber - Left 100mL Phosgaurd - Right 100mL Matrix Carbon
Bottom Chamber - 100mL of Purigen in each

My tank is currently on day 21 of it's cycle. I used Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution to dose the tank up to 2ppm ammonia on day 1 and used Seachem's recommended dosage of Stability during the first week. Nitrites appeared on day 9, and ammonia fell back to 0.5ppm on day 13, so I dosed back up to 2ppm. Nitrates appeared on day 14. Current parameters are:
pH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

Once the nitrites are back down to 0ppm in a few days, I'll do a 30% water change and be ready to add fish. First fish going in will be a pair of ORA snowflake clowns. Undecided on other fish. I'll have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few astrea snails in once I have a need for them.

I've ordered my corals from a company called Tidal Gardens. If you guys haven't heard of them, check them out. He's got a YouTube channel that produces some of the highest quality informative/tutorial videos I've ever seen. He's holding my corals until the tank is ready for them, but here's what I've purchased so far:
Red Sea Pulsing Xenia
Fireball Acanthastrea
(2) Teal Pinwheel Candy Cane
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Green Star Polyps
SPS - Pink Bird's Nest
SPS - Blue Montipora Digitata
Orange Ricordea Florida Mushroom
Two Faced Torch Colony (super excited about this one - check out his twitter feed for a pic of it)

This was my first time aquascaping, but I have to admit I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with! Here are the pics!

snowflake_clown is offline   Reply With Quote