View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2009, 01:29 PM   #204
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scratt
I'm glad to hear that it doesnt look like a total mess. I knew it couldnt be too bad since most of the rock and almost half of the glass is covered with tiny tube worms. Thats in addition to the 15-15 larger tube worms that seem to be doing really well.

Instead of 5 lbs per week of LR, would it be advisable to add more live rock but do more frequent water changes? I want to get my LR from here but its a bit of a drive for me to buy 5lbs at a time. I was thinking more like 10-15 lbs. My LFS has almost no LR in stock anymore, though I could buy a few of their remaining pieces and do the 10-15 lb purchase towards the end?

What do you think about adding some small frags of coral to the tank now? Would it survive the ammonia spikes as I add in more LR?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, the worms are a good sign

As a suggestion buy a good amount of live rock and put it in a plastic tote or tube. Cure the rock in there--doing regular water changes. At the point of zero ammonia and nitrates you can add to your tank all at once.

The other merit of this approach is that you are ruling out the possiblity of ich being introduced from the purchased live rock.
If you let the rock cure for 4 weeks--that chance is minimal to nothing.

Corals aren't a big bioload so you should be alright--unless you follow your suggestion of adding the live rock directly to your tank and doing water changes---that could cause of problem with water quality for the corals.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote