View Single Post
Unread 07/05/2008, 02:38 PM   #11
MarkS
Registered Member

There are several problems with your design.

1.) The turf screen needs to be exposed to air and water. I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years, so I no longer remember why, but this is important and is the reason behind dump buckets, wheels and such.
2.) You will have to constantly clean the sides of the container. You're going to see all sorts of algae grow over most surfaces exposed to light, killing your turf algae in the process. That is one of the biggest reasons for turf filters to be open on the top.
3.) Turf filters need massive amounts of surface area to function properly. Several square feet of screen is needed for an average size moderately stocked aquarium.

It is better to let us stumble across your thread and offer our help than to solicit it. That is generally regarded as rude and even SPAM. I have no authority here, but I'd suggest you not do that again. We are all here to help, but no one should feel pressured to do so.

I think that this post summed it up nicely:
Quote:
Originally posted by UrbanSage
He PM'd me to post my comments in a thread I had never seen.
Obviously I care. And I care for the same reasons I dislike spam in my inbox.

If PM'ing people to get them to your thread becomes standard practice then it soon be tough to find legitimate PM's you care about.
Quote:
Originally posted by jman77

That's what " threads" are , you post something, and someone else comments.
Who cares if he asks people to comment.
Exactly. That is what threads are for. People have been banned for doing what he did. Unsolicited e-mail and PM's are generally considered SPAM. I have no idea who this person is and when I open the thread I get a new product development style thread. The original post reeks of a thinly veiled commercial post.

Last edited by MarkS; 07/05/2008 at 02:50 PM.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote