View Single Post
Unread 06/29/2017, 08:15 AM   #1
adrianreece
Registered Member

60 Gallon Reef Build

I am in the process of sourcing equipment to upgrade my 60 gallon FOWLR tank to include a sump. This thread is to keep track of my progress. I have had my tank set up for a few years now with three green spotted puffers and a few corals. I am moving from Brookings, SD to Fairfax, VA in a few weeks and I thought that during the move would be a great time to upgrade my stand and add a sump. I really enjoyed having the puffers for the last couple years, but it has been frustrating that I can't have any inverts for a cleaning crew, and the puffers can't be kept with any other fish (mine have been quite aggressive). I reluctantly decided to give them to a local reef shop so that I don't have to go through the hassle of moving them 22 hours away. This will also give myself time to break the tank down to drill it for an overflow/return without having to rush to set things up and get the fish back in there.

Equipment List for the new setup:
Marineland 60 Gallon Display
Glass-Holes 700gph Overflow
Glass-Holes 3/4" return with loc line
Aqueon 20 Gallon Long Sump
Lifeguard Quiet one pro 2200 return pump
Jebao WP-25 wave pump
Hydor Nano powerhead
Bubble Magus Curve 5
BRS Dual reactor (carbon, GFO) powered by MJ1200
200w heater
100w heater
Hydor smart ATO
Current USA Marine Orbit LED 48"

Keeping a saltwater tank has been quite the learning experience for me and I am excited for the new setup. It will be soo much cleaner than the way it is now, being able to put all the equipment in the sump. I am hoping to have a mixed reef once things are moved to Virginia and up and going again.

Here is a picture of my tank from a few months ago and a couple pictures of the new stand with sump that I am building.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160918_121420.jpg (72.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Tank setup rendering 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Tank setup rendering 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 26 views)
adrianreece is offline   Reply With Quote