View Single Post
Old 09/07/2014, 10:37 AM   #107
JLynn
Registered Member

The common name of Liopropoma carmabi is the Candy Basslet. Google it if you haven't ever heard of it- it is, hands down, the most stunningly beautiful fish I have ever seen. (When I say seen, I mean vicariously, through google images . And supposedly, the pictures don't even do it justice!). It is not too terribly uncommon in the Caribbean, but its collection range is limited to the areas where it is found deep down (~100-250 ft), so individuals sell for ~$800, and a pair will go for $2,000. Also, unlike most deepwater fish, it is pretty hardy, and supposedly not too difficult to breed in captivity, so I will probably try my hand at that as well, some day.

Yeah, I see what you mean about replacing the skimmer with sponges. I think that would work just fine. Somehow I have never realized that biopellets were a form of carbon dosing ...

Glad to hear that you think the refugium would work. It will probably take me all of college to work out the kinks in the idea, but hopefully it will pay off. I was planning on having the water skimmed after going through the refugium, but I am still considering it. I think that before I make any decisions on that one I will test out the various methods of nutrient export (skimming, chaeto, ulva, ATS, DSB, etc) to see which ones work best. And of course, I do plan on doing water changes. I think I will set up a continuous water change system and have it change about 20% of the water each week; the benefit of it is that the volume of water added to the tank (through a doser) is so small that it doesn't matter if it is the same temp or pH or hardness as the water in the tank because it will never be enough water to effect an appreciable difference in the water chemistry. Also, continuous water changes means continuous nutrient export, and I won't have to do any heavy lifting, either!

Thanks! I am definitely doing my best to minimize the tank maintenance aspect. That is one reason I will be getting a betta fish. It will be a planted tank, but because I don't want the hassle involved with setting up a CO2 dosing system, I will just be using Seachem Excel. I do plan to fertilize, but I will use the estimative index method, so that I don't have to mess with testing kits after the cycling is over with. Also, because I will have to move the tank every semester (for the holidays), I am going to use basalt river rocks instead of sand and plant only plants that can grow on wood and rock, so that deconstructing and reconstructing the tank will be as quick and painless as possible.

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote