View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2017, 12:19 PM   #10
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterman789 View Post
... being Live Rock, but they had no fish in the tank. This, in my opinion really reduces the bacteria load...
I'd be surprised if the live rock sits long enough at an LFS to completely cure. IMO, there's probably more than enough die off in those bulk live rock tanks to provide pretty high levels of nitrate, not to mention ammonia, nitrite, and phosphate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterman789 View Post
... Take a bucket of tank water, fill it full of LR or chunks, give it just enough circulation so there aren't dead spots (we don't want hydrogen sulfide), and then seed that sucker with lots of potassium nitrate. Keep the levels screaming high at 100ppm. Think this would establish nitrogen reducers better than in a tank?
Putting dry rock in ASW in the manner mentioned above with Lanthanum Chloride to free bound phosphate is a common practice. Maybe adding a nitrogen compound also (ammonia, potassium nitrate, etc.) during that process would serve the purpose you are seeking. I'm not sure of the chemistry involved though. I would also point out that some carbon needs to be present for the process to work.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote