View Single Post
Unread 12/20/2009, 11:16 AM   #89
mnml
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thank you very much, everyone! It's great to hear such nice comments.

Thanks! This was not my idea actually. I was going back and forth, really leaning towards doing a closed loop system but my tank builder (kyle at sapphire aquatics here in houston) came up with this idea. So I can't take credit. He was really good at listening to what i wanted to accomplish, the style of plumbing I wanted to do, etc and then designed the overflow with everything considered. What I needed to do though was figure out how to get the wires down the 1" dry pipe. NONE of the plugs would fit! So I was able to open up the vortech wave driver boxes and luckily the main power wire loom had a "connector" at the circuit board and i was able to just unplug them, run the wire down and replug into the other half of the connector soldered to the circuit board. The lights was a little more complicated but same idea. Luckily all the wiring came into the end of the fixture behind the same plate that gets removed to install the bulbs. But in this case each wire had to be disconnected individually. Once disconnected the loom could be pulled out and sent up the dry pipe from below and then everything reconnected. Overall, it was all a lot easier than it could have been, that's for sure.
The only thing I'm a little worried about is working around those Vortechs and not blocking too much flow to the outer corners of the tank with rock and stuff.

I was just about to ask how you got those wires down that small pipe. Very creative indeed. What type of corals are you planning to host? SPS, LPS, mixed?

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote