View Single Post
Unread 07/31/2016, 06:41 AM   #228
davelin315
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taahirs View Post
Right guys. So I've got an empty tank. Just under 400g excl sump, about 450 incl.

Having done the whole sps thing it's time to go predator. Got a tunze 9430 skimmer rated for 800g. Think this should be good.

Looking at getting one type of shark. Epaulette, coral cat shark or Hasselts bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium hasseltii)

So the plan is to keep the shark with :

Blue spotted ray
Miniatus Grouper
Orange spotted Rabbitfish
Trio of convict tangs
Unicorn tang
Harlequin tusk
Oriental sweetlips

Could someone also advise the compatibility of blue throat triggers, Volitans lionfish, Quoyi Parrot fish and Snowflake eels. Oh, and an emperor angel.

Maybe I could substitute some of those in.

Thanks.
I would not keep a trigger with a shark or ray. They can nip the fins and tails and cause all kinds of problems. About 20 years ago I had plans in place to build a large lagoon in my basement for sharks and rays and was quarantining a bat ray with a small trigger (maybe 3-4" Picasso) and it nipped the tail of the ray and it jumped over my 18" high protective fence, total of 2' above water level.

I have also found eels to be problematic with smaller shark unless they are significantly smaller. Individuals will vary in temperament, but it can prove to be very hard to remove an eel once they are in the system and damage can be done very quickly.

Lionfish can also be tricky as sharks and rays in captivity are somewhat indiscriminate swimmers in my experience based on typical tank size and stray voltage and a sting can be fatal.

Maintain multiple tanks at Floris Elementary School where I teach 5th grade (FOWLR and Mantis Tank in my room, various FOWLR and mixed reefs in the school).

Vice President for the Washington, DC Area Marine Aquarist Society (WAMAS)

Current Tank Info: 650+ gallon home system, multiple school tanks ranging from 15 gallons up to 75 gallons
davelin315 is offline   Reply With Quote