Thread: CO2 scrubber
View Single Post
Unread 08/11/2010, 08:46 AM   #13
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminmel View Post
Tom, Are there any other benefits to using it or is it strictly related to CO2? My pH runs at 8.3-4 consistently but because some of this chemistry stuff still escapes me, I thought I should double check. It used to run lower over a year ago so I stocked up on the 2part Alk that raises pH and now have to dose carefully to keep it from going higher. Haven't actually dosed in over a month and pH isn't going down.
Don't mean to butt in on Tom's thread, but no - there will be no other benefits. The only people who would benefit from a CO2 scrubber would be people who can't keep their pH high enough through other means.

IMHO pH is over-complicated by people in this hobby. Someone with a more formal chemistry background will shoot me for this, but think of it as a ratio between CO2 and alkalinity. You can change the pH by altering either side of the ratio.

Every reef tank should be maintained to a specific alkalinity. So, in essence, that side of the ratio should be fixed. If you are doing a good job at maintaining alkalinity, and you still have "pH problems," it essentially means you have a CO2 problem. If you can't or don't want to solve it by the methods Tom mentioned in his first post (bringing in outside air, reverse photoperiods on a macroalgae refugium or turf scrubber, etc.) then a CO2 scrubber is a great solution. If you don't have pH problems, and your alkalinity is in line, then a scrubber won't help your tank.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote