Thread: CO2 scrubber
View Single Post
Unread 08/11/2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Gravesj1s
Registered Member

I agree guys.

Glad this thread was started and folks are chiming in.I haven't really had a chance to get over to the chemistry forum yet to check the threads over there but got the gist to how this works from the discussion so far.
But I'd also point out that some alkalinity supplements are "questionable".I'm not up to par on all of whats out there these days but I know the seachem products add borates to the mix.It claims to maintain Ph.I believe this comes at a cost to carbonate alkalinity. Personaly I'd never use their alkalinity supplements for this reason.
In other words,adding this type product can shift Ph towards 8.3 while a alkalinity test kit "might read" this giving the illusion alkalinity is in the acceptable range.Borate is part of what makes up Alk,but not really used in calcification.

Another thing to consider would be growth.Ph ranging between 7.9 -8.5 are considered the "acceptable ranges",but the optimum range for calcification is towards the upper limits.I believe Ph 8.4 growth rates are maximized.Something to consider if they were using a Caco3 reactor whitch is known for lower but in the acceptable Ph range.

I do agree though that maintaining alk is more important than worrying about Ph numbers.I do monitor Ph but it is more for cautionary measures (limewater) than anything else.

Gravesj1s is offline   Reply With Quote