View Single Post
Unread 12/10/2017, 12:30 PM   #281
jonasroman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You should not ever have to run these lights at 100% in high power mode unless you have your lights way far above the water and or don't have enough lights for your display. On my frag tank, I run the LX7 around 65% and on my main display, I run around 75%. That said, these lights are very strong in the blue spectrum which is very hard to distinguish intensity. It's the white light that makes things look brightter but our corals get most of their usable photosynthetic radiation from 420nm to 460nm which is the blue spectrum. As such, using your eyes to judge intensity won't do you much good. Heck, even a par meter has some trouble in that spectrum. The only I use my PAR meters for is acclimating tanks to new lights.

I suspect your issue is low nutrients and in fact, low nutrient systems typically prefer less PAR than a high nutrient system.If I were you, I'd back the intensity way off. You could bleach your corals.
I have actually the opposite problem that you address. I do not mean that it looks not bright enough for eye, I mean that I despite all these blue light etc, do not see that colour response that I should. My colour is simply a little too dark, far away from bleaching, telling me that they could stand a lot of more light. This despite not very high N and P. It should be lighter corals with so much light, so I suspect it is actually not so strong. I think it could be cause of no lenses...? There are good PAR meters today which can measure LED range, so I think I have to get my hands on that such device, because I can of course be wrong. Have to be proved. I will be back with results if I can achieve thus PAR readings.

jonasroman is offline   Reply With Quote