View Single Post
Unread 06/04/2012, 12:04 AM   #3812
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaph8 View Post
Looks great and should come out really clean looking just like everything else. What are the plans for stock in the fuge?
Thanks Brett. I haven't thought much past just adding a lot of rock. I'm not completely sold on the idea of a bunch of macros for this fuge but haven't ruled it out, simply because I'm not sure there'd be a huge benefit and it would add more maintenance. I might fabricate a lid so it's somewhat cryptic but on the fence there too. Sponges and/or other filter feeders would be nice. I would like to get feedback on adding a DSB in there or not. I'm leaning "not" on that one just because of the potential long term implications, and not being able to easily clean the bottom of the tank. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
keep it simple and as straight forward as posible

make sure you can drain more then you could ever pump in

a glass holes type over flow would be fine but you could probably get by with just a upturned elbow or maybe two of them tee'ed together. I wouldn't even worry about a strainer.

Also consider keeping a 1/4" per foot slope on the drain line all the way to the sump. Maybe run 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" drain so you can use the drain fittings to help the internal flow and air seperation.
Great advice Pete. Do you think an upturned elbow would gurgle really bad - like an un-tuned Durso? That was my first choice but didn't know if it would make a bunch of noise plumbing it that way. My original idea was to run 2x 1.5" drains, but have one as a backup - overflow drain. Basically a "glass-holes" type box with a Durso pointing down (primary drain), and an elbow pointing up as a backup drain. Kind of a modified Herbie overflow.

Other question is... Do overflows require a significant amount of "drop" for them to operate correctly? For instance on a reef-ready tank, the water flows over the teeth and drops down through the drain pipe a couple feet before it enters the sump. Would it be acceptable to come straight out the back of the stock tank, turn the corner, and drop 1/4" per foot until it terminates at the sump? More of a gentle slope, not the traditional vertical drop you get from a display to the sump. Let me know if that makes sense or not...

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote