View Single Post
Unread 08/24/2017, 12:29 PM   #7
TexChuck
Registered Member

Congrats!! How long has your tank been up? I'll echo the post above -- patience is key.

I change water weekly to biweekly, 1 5g jug at a time. Makes it easy to remember. 1 bucket out, 1 5g jug in. Are you making your water or buying at LFS? How are you handling topoff? Are you calibrating our refractometer and checking salinity periodically?

I'd suggest adding easier coral after a couple of months. Zoa's are great. Also maybe a nice hammer or torch or frogspawn to host your clowns? My first fish after the clown pair was a yasha goby/shrimp pair. I think these are a lot of fun in a nano.

I'd also suggest flow -- I went with an inexpensive Jaebo powerhead and it's been fine. You can of course go Eotech for a better product. All depends on budget. I'm running a Tunze nano skimmer and the Intank media basket, which I've set up with flaw, chaeto, and purigen. If I had it to do over again I'd consider skipping the skimmer and using the Intank Fuge basket to run more chaeto. (I might do this)

Upgrading your lights is optional if you wanna grow fancier coral. I upgraded to the Steve's LED drop in kit and am very happy with it.

But remember .. go slow ! The BC stock is a great AIO -- I've really enjoyed mine.

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote