View Single Post
Unread 11/14/2019, 06:40 PM   #5
sfdan
Registered Member

I'm at the (hopefully) tail end a very long multi-month battle with very severe GHA that was not solved by Fluconazole. I'd siphon out massive amounts of algae but in a week or two it'd be all back. It was quite a problem and the GHA overgrew and killed more corals than I'd like to admit.

I'm not entirely convinced by the causality, but once I started dosing the maximum dosage of Vibrant (1ml/10 gallons twice a week), the algae really started to weaken and my ability to clean it out of the system became faster than its ability to grow. Now this is all part of a large system where I'm skimming pretty wet, have an ATS and am using the Vibrant, but I had all those things before the Vibrant and they weren't helping all that much.

It isn't like when I started dosing the Vibrant all the algae died, but it did seem to weaken the algae enough that when I clean it off the rocks it doesn't come back, and slowly but surely I'm knocking it out of the whole tank. I'm not sure if the Vibrant was really just an expensive form of carbon dosing (Vinegar is one of the ingredients) or the Vibrant special ingredients actually had the effect, but I'd say it is worth a try.

Also I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the water tests. When my GHA outbreak was in full swing my Nitrate levels were 0, and now with the GHA in decline my Nitrate levels have been pretty steady between 5-7.5. When you have a ton of algae your levels might be low but you still have a nutrient problem because the algae is just taking them up so quickly.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote