View Single Post
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:07 PM   #17
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Lol you are changing what I said. I didn't said freshwater and I didn't said common equals good. But you said GHA is not nutritious and my point was on that. It is what most of these fish eat the most in nature. If Nori is as nutritious as you make it to be, it would also be a major water pollutant. So you are the one who who makes contradicting arguments.

And actually yes I feed my tanks detrius and biofilm. When I clean my sump I dont turn of the return pump which pushes all the scraped biofilm and detrius to the DT. Tangs love it.

And about your other point, I also didnt said algae nit eaten in minutes is a problem. My point was why does the OP feed algae if there is already that much of hair algae. That is like adding bottled copepods to a tank that already has a lot of indigenous copepods. The discussion was on consumption of hair algae with or without Nori, it was not on nori causing hair algae.
Huh?

I have only said having nori in your tank for hours should not be viewed as problem on its own... that's all. I do not know the exact nutritional value of GHA, I specifically said that, but obviously macro algae in general have been recommended for tangs and other large grazers for a long time. I CAN say that I have yet to see a tank full of film/hair algae satiate a tang over a single day, much less sustain them...

People feed their grazers all sorts of things now, bananas, raw veggies, etc.. to expand nutrition. Nori and macro algae are literally the first step in that direction for people that own grazers, and is the consensus baseline recommendation for supplementing their diet.

Anyway, not all fish will even bother to eat GHA (and no one even asked the OP), so I do not know why you are so fixated on it.... But maybe you should go into business for yourself and sell dried GHA to everyone since we are obviously all wasting our money on substandard algae

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 02/22/2018 at 01:24 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote