View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2014, 04:11 PM   #98
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Those are some good points, JLynn.

You're right, it is just a theory at this point, that a gyre flow effectively enlarges a tank. I'm anxious to test it, and as you said, I'll "give it a shot".

I have considered the issue of too much current for both the seagrass and the fish. I will be able to start with less, and gradually increase it over time. I plan to plant the grass more towards the middle of the tank and not in direct path of the flow. Also, the pump outputs driving the gyre flow will be in the top two-thirds of the tank, so there should be less current towards the bottom. I'd be amazed if I actually had too much current for the fish. I saw a video taken in a caribbean seagrass bed. There were seahorses in there going about their normal activity, while the current was obviously raging. The grass was moving very erratically but the little horses just did their thing! I'll definitely keep an eye on everyone and adjust the current as needed.

I'll try and track down that info on the angelfish, or if you remember where you found it, that would be great. A 'sorority' would be fine. Love that term by the way! My main concern is that they coexist peacefully with each other and their tankmates.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote