View Single Post
Unread 10/13/2017, 01:22 AM   #13
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOORE0324 View Post
I have the tank finally set up and running. I’ll post a more in-depth update later but so far the 120DC skimmer seems to be pretty silent. I downloaded a decibel meter for my phone and was getting 58. That was with overflow water noise (no filter socks installed yet) and plenty of background noise. I put my ear right to the sump and I can’t hear any pump noise but I’m also not particularly sensitive to noise. Sounds like maybe you got a bad pump?
Simplicity didn't test their skimmer noise, not sure why they won't. But I got a new replacement pump to try. The new pump is pretty silent, though still louder than my VarioS-4 and 2.

But when I add in the air, it gets pretty loud. I guess this is impossible to avoid with needlewheel type skimmers? I'm at about 60 decibels next to the skimmer now with it on full blast.

Maybe I'm too sensitive. But if you're reading 58 with yours, it's probably just me.

What pump power level are you on? And how much air (approximately) are you letting in? And what's your wedge pipe set to?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote