View Single Post
Unread 05/11/2016, 06:24 PM   #3606
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt03 View Post
Added a large cup of sand from my established display tank and a pod pack that was in the display for almost a week. Hopefully it helps...
You asked about the sand bed transplant, and it would totally have worked - if my dino infestation had lasted long enough. By the time my cultured algae sand had matured enough, the dinos had virtually collapsed.
I still wring out my dino scrubber filter floss with traces of ostreopsis dinos into the cultured sand tank and it never survives very long.
Under the scope I've checked the sand and seen ciliates with multiple ostis ingested. Pods aren't as transparent as ciliates, hard to say for certain visually if they've been munching ostis too.

But the cultured sand seems to have it's limits. I tried adding small amounts (a cup or so) of healthy very biodiverse sand into the dino battlefield and it holds its's own for only a short time before the dinos slowly reclaim the area.

Maybe like you said, your balance is more delicate and a cup here and there and a basket o' pods will tip the scales.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote