View Single Post
Unread 01/06/2016, 05:59 PM   #2568
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
So while I've not read all 103 pages (at least not that I can remember), I'm not sure I see a need to invoke a lot of special bacteria issues to explain most of the things folks see with dinos.

I certainly don't claim to be any sort of expert on dinos, and they truly are among the worst possible pests we get.

But that said, I'm not sure that all of the successful treatments (or nontreatments) don't simply work because they take away something important to the particular species of dinos that you have.

People should remember that dinos, like algae and most photosynthetic pests need ALL of a source of N, P, Fe, many other trace metals, light, space to grow on, etc.

Take away any ONE of them and the dinos will be gone.

The trick is to find which of those is easiest to reduce while still permitting an adequate amount for other tank inhabitants (since they too need ALL of these).

Keeping a dirty tank and finding the dinos decline may simply mean high levels of bacteria that are present are out competing the dinos for some trace element.

Water changes bring back that trace element.

Keeping a super clean tank may be able to outcompete some dino species for N or P.

Lights out obviously takes away light.

Organic carbon dosing may drive some dinos if they are a species that can take up the organic you are dosing, BUT it does not always happen, obviously. In fact, driving bacterial growth (especially without water changes) can quickly use up trace elements and possibly even help reduce dinos. As noted, lots of folks have been organic carbon dosing for years without any dinos (myself included).

So what I'm wondering is if there are any methods that drive out dinos that CANNOT be explained by a reduction in some unknown trace metal(s) (or direct killing, such as a UV, or possibly hydrogen peroxide, which could be a trace element modifier too).
RANDY!!! Where have you been? We miss you.

Dinos are more like a disease than algae. The fact that they can kill macro like chaeto and micro like a hair algae ATS speaks to their ability to create hostile conditions where the competition cannot survive, regardless of what trace elements are in the water. UV and skimming worked for me. It's the only thing that worked for me.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote