View Single Post
Unread 01/27/2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Xxero
Registered Member

I'm glad that you chimed in because I was getting ready to answer my own question.

I believe that Clams can have bad days. I recently removed some rock and rearranged some others, and I believe this is what caused my Derasa to retract a little and show signs of distress. It is back to normal now, almost like nothing ever happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
When I bought it, the mantle was a drab brown, now it has a very nice iridescent blue striping. It's very alert, but never seems to open widely.

Is this normal?
It's funny that you say this because when I purchased my Derasa, it was drab and kind of a Taupe-ish brown. Now it is purple with deep blue striping. As far as not opening very widely, I have noticed with mine that it really seems to prefer a soft, steady water flow. If the flow stays like this, my Clam will stay relaxed and open up as normal. But if the flow changes to hard and more turbulent, the Clam won't open nearly as much. I think it's all about finding that sweet spot with the water flow and keeping it that way.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote