View Single Post
Unread 08/28/2016, 09:58 AM   #75
tenurepro
Registered Member

A little update. Been away on holiday for a week and a half. Had the autofeeder on which, even at the lowest setting, dumps twice as much pellets as I normally feed. Also had skimmer on dry; didn't want it to overflow when I am away.
Alk dropped from 11.8 to 10.6; CA dropped from 460 to 400ppm; phosphates went from undetectable to 0.09 ppm (Hanna phosphorus ULR), nitrates went from undetectable to barely detectable (<0.2 ppm on salfert).

Now the interesting bits; growth on all sps frags was very obvious,great PE, and a tad bit more color in some of the corals that were browning. Also a bit more GHA, and lower cyano.

Not sure if it was the drop in alk or the excess nutrients (or both) that fueled this growth. The alk and ca drop are also consistent with uptake by growing sps. I think my system was running a bit too clean, and there may be some merit to the 'increase bio load' advice I was getting re. Cyano.

I am planing to increase my fish; have 3 chromis in wk 2 out of 4 in QT. also planing on adding 3 more wrasses in a couple of weeks, then a royal gramma. That should up the nitrates. Away next week so we'll see how high Phosphates will climb and its effect on tank. Will try to maintain high alk like I have been (around 11.5)

Re. Black leopard wrasse (haven't seen him since his one and only midnight appearance. Hoping he is still alive but u am skeptical about a fish emerging from the sand 3 wks after intro)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote